Best Age Friendly Outreach Award 2021
We were honoured to have been awarded the Best Age Friendly Outreach Award at the national Fantastic for Families Awards 2021, for our engagement work with older adults, and especially isolated adults in sheltered housing and care homes during the pandemic year.
Fantastic for Families Awards celebrate the wealth of exceptional creative provision for families across the UK and the achievements of those who have made an outstanding contribution to family-friendly arts and culture.
Norwich Theatre’s award winning project was designed in response to the ongoing pandemic. The Creative Community Recovery Programme was for older adults who found themselves particularly isolated because of COVID-19. It covered a huge range of opportunities to interact or take part as an audience member: creative workshops such as drama, dance, and creative writing; activities including ‘Cloth of Kindness’ (needlework) and arts and crafts; and social opportunities including community choir.
Support for Refugees and Asylum Seekers 2020
In 2020 we became Norwich’s second Theatre of Sanctuary. This award is in recognition of our commitment to being a place of support, safety & hospitality for refugees and asylum seekers in Norwich. Where possible we offer a range of creative and practical projects including seminars, performances and workshops. These tailored and bespoke projects are accessible to all those within the refugee and asylum seeker community.
Our commitment in 2021/22 includes:
- Café conversations for asylum seekers and refugees to come to and talk to staff/volunteers so those who are seeking sanctuary can meet and connect with each other, sharing support and understanding.
- A film club to watch world cinema.
- At least two free places on courses within the Norwich Theatre programme to asylum-seekers and refugees.
- The opportunity for groups that work with asylum-seekers and refugees to see shows at the theatre at reduced costs.
- A commitment to explore issues around or work by refugees to be programmed across the Norwich Theatre venues.
Creative Green Awards 2019
We won the Improvement Award at the 2019 Creative Green Awards for our efforts to reduce our impact on the environment over the last ten years.
Theatre Royal was also awarded a 5 Star Creative Green Certification from Julies Bicycle for the 9th year running in recognition of its commitment to managing its carbon and improving its environmental impacts.
Creative Green certification is developed by Julie’s Bicycle for music, theatre and the wider creative industries. By achieving Creative Green certification, Norwich Theatre is joining the UK creative industry’s response to climate change and environmental sustainability.
Our key strengths from the award included:
- Our exceptional commitment to sustainability within management and staff
- Measuring our environmental impact beyond the Creative Green scope
- Achieving brilliant results in the reduction of our carbon emissions
- Our excellent engagement measures with staff and audiences
Norfolk Arts Award 2019
We were honoured to be awarded the Diversity Award at Norfolk Arts Awards. This was given to us in recognition of the work we have been doing for our Creative Matters seasons; a series of month-long, issue-focused arts activities. Each Creative Matters season features a mix of performance, film, exhibitions, workshops and events, which aim to stimulate discussion and make connections through creativity. Season themes have previously included LGBTQ, Men’s Mental Health, Caring for Dementia, Black British Identity and Homelessness.