Theatre of Sanctuary
Support for Refugees and Asylum Seekers
In 2020 we became Norwich’s second Theatre of Sanctuary. This award is in recognition of our commitment to being a place of support, safety & hospitality for refugees and asylum seekers in Norwich.
Where possible we offer a range of creative and practical projects including seminars, performances and workshops. These tailored and bespoke projects are accessible to all those within the refugee and asylum seeker community.
Our commitment in 2021/22 includes:
- Café conversations for asylum seekers and refugees to come to and talk to staff/volunteers so those who are seeking sanctuary can meet and connect with each other, sharing support and understanding.
- A film club to watch world cinema.
- At least two free places on courses within the Norwich Theatre programme to asylum-seekers and refugees.
- The opportunity for groups that work with asylum-seekers and refugees to see shows at the theatre at reduced costs.
- A commitment to explore issues around or work by refugees to be programmed across the Norwich Theatre venues.
Palm To Palm
Our latest project Palm To Palm, co-produced with the Royal Shakespeare Company, saw us working closely with local organisations and volunteers from the refugee and asylum seeker community to produce an interpretation of Romeo and Juliet inspired by themes of conflict, banishment and home.
Below are some rehearsal shots during the making of the play and a short film, by the RSC , showcasing the play:
Rehearsal Photos & Trailer
Norwich City of Sanctuary
Norwich City of Sanctuary celebrates those places and groups in the city who have a strong commitment to providing a welcome for people seeking sanctuary, and to building a culture of welcome for future generations.
For more details on other organisation locally as a place of sanctuary please visit Norwich City of Sanctuary website.